A number of radioactive organic waste are generated from the operation of NPP; in this context the spent resins, used to remove radioactive nuclides and chemical impurities from the water clean-up systems, represent a form of Low and Intermediate Level Waste demanding special precautions when
processed and conditioned.
Ansaldo Nucleare and Granit Technologies (an Ansaldo Nucleare's Swiss partner) are developing a technology to treat radioactive organic waste based on a Wet Oxidation Process. The project entails experimentation on a Pilot plant and it' s specifically applied for treatment of spent ion exchange resins produced in Trino NPP (Italy).
The process is based on a chemical reaction that takes place in the liquid state, consisting of the oxidation of organic and inorganic substances through the use of oxygen at high temperature and high pressure. The reaction, which doesn't require any catalyst, transforms organic material into water and carbon oxide and the inorganic component into mineral oxides without producing toxic emission of gases, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides or carbon monoxide.
After wet oxidation treatment, inorganic residues can be conditioned for disposal.
The WOT project on Trino NPP includes the following system sections:
- Pre-treatment: recovery of exhausted resins, including extraction from purifier vessels, dewatering and grinding.
- Wet oxidation treatment: the "core process" which transforms organic material into water and CO2 and inorganic material into insoluble oxides.
- Post-treatment: final treatment to condition solid residue containing radioactive contamination and process solution containing soluble salts.
Trino WOT project also includes building ventilation, and drainage systems adaptation in order to set the WOT complete system.
Why choose WOX?
- Reduction of final waste volume, saving disposal capacity and costs;
- Conditioning of the radioactive waste into a stable solid form for final disposal;
- Deploying technologies used in other industrial fields, after proper adaptation to nuclear requirements (our wet oxidation process technology has been dedicated to date, to industrial and urban waste treatment);
- Propose valid alternative to the current practices